The Empress Botanical Garden is amongst the most historic and botanically important gardens in the Pune region. It was initially a “Soldiers Garden”. The Agri-Horticultural Society of Western India has been managing the Empress Garden since 1892.
The land where the garden today stands was initially the property of a man known as Sardar Vithalrao Purandhare. However, its maintenance work was looked over by a General Finjer.
In the year 1838, the ownership of the garden passed into the hands of the Government. In 1845, it further changed hands and came into the possession of Sir Charles Napier. Throughout his ownership, the garden was known as the 'Garden of Dr. Don'. The name 'Empress Garden' was given to the botanical park in honor of Queen Victoria, when she won the title of 'Empress of India'.
The Bombay Government transferred it to the Agri-Horicultural Society of Western India in 1892, one of the oldest of its kind in the country.